The Leadership Academy on Circular Economy is organised annually in one of the countries eligible to the programme. The 2019’s Leadership Academy was hold on 2-6 December in Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. This year we received 678 applications. This is a very impressive number and highlights the interest of young professionals in Asia to learn more about circular economy!
To improve the knowledge of young professionals from public sector, private sector and civil society organizations who can contribute to the design and implementation of innovative solutions for policies, business models, technologies, financing mechanisms and practices that promote Circular Economy.
- Assist future decision-makers from developing countries and countries with economies in transition to respond better in the growing needs to mainstream Sustainable Consumption and Production and Circular Economy by raising their knowledge in this field.
- Enhance the capacity level of junior governmental professionals from developing countries to work with projects that promote Sustainable Consumption and Production and Circular Economy.
- To increase the understanding of the need for - and challenges to - implementation of Circular Economy in different sectors and thereby enable participants to effectively engage with and contribute to mainstreaming and upscaling of Sustainable Consumption and Production and Circular Economy through their daily management practices.
- Create networks of junior professionals from developing and industrialised countries and thus promoting North-South and South-South cooperation mechanisms in the field of Circular Economy.
- To provide credible knowledge on Circular Economy to post-graduate students and equip them with skills that can support their research and professional activities.
The programme offers practical knowledge based on experts’ experience. Participants will explore the Circular Economy strategies and will have opportunities to create network among groups of people with shared interests. After the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- Clearly understand what Circular Economy is and how it contributes to sustainable development, poverty alleviation and sustainable livelihoods (and the relative contributions by different socio-economic sectors, geo-political countries, etc.).
- Know how to use alternative policy instruments, strategy options and institutional arrangements (including networks) for achieving resource efficiency and its subsequent development, climate and environmental conservation outcomes (e.g. regulatory, market based, information, etc. instruments in environment, industry, technology, education, training and other policy domains).
- Developing analytical, advocacy and implementation capabilities and skills as appropriate to the backgrounds and interests of participants.
- Have a better understanding and appreciation of the different perspectives and interests of various stakeholders as these are affected by, and could potentially contribute to, Circular Economy and its development.