India's foundry MSMEs take up SCP measures
India's foundry sector is highly energy-intensive and vastly based on micro and small enterprises (MSMEs) that use obsolete and inefficient melting technologies, with negative environmental impact.
- demonstrating the business case for SCP practices
- strengthening local capacity
- improving MSME access to credit
- supporting a conducive regulatory environment
- enhancing MSME market position,
the SWITCH-Asia project MSME Clusters:
- reduced consumption of coke as fuel by 13 000 tonnes per annum, which in turn generated annual savings of EUR 2.6 million from decreased fuel costs
- facilitated energy efficiency interventions in 474 MSMEs that reduced their greenhouse gas emissions by 35 750 metric tonnes per annum
- supported 375 MSMEs in implementing occupational health and safety measures, benefitting more than 5 000 workers.
This brief publication provides a comprehensive review of the project's approach and specific results.