SWITCH-Asia Webinar - “SCP practices: Linking Poverty Reduction and Green Growth in Asia”
Webinar on resources, challenges and solutions for achieving poverty reduction and green growth through SCP practices
On Tuesday, March 24th, 2015 - 10 am CET
After its first webinar on the topic of Access to Green Finance in September 2014, the SWITCH-Asia webinar series continues with a new webinar that will discuss the opportunities to link poverty reduction strategies and Green Growth through sustainable consumption and production (SCP) practices.
In Asia, Green Growth stands for reconciling business activities and expanding economies within the planet's environmental boundaries. But how does Green Growth contribute to sustainable livelihoods and poverty reduction? Which role does SCP play in the Green Growth strategies of Asian countries?
SCP practices based on life-cycle perspectives can support poverty reduction and Green Growth simultaneously. For instance, successful approaches applied by the SWITCH-Asia programme include use of renewable resources for product innovation, community-based eco-tourism or business development for efficient cook stove technologies.
The webinar will feature presentations by leading experts in the area of Green Growth in Asia and SWITCH-Asia project experiences. The webinar also includes an interactive session for discussion with the presenters.
This online seminar will present two panels of about 45 minutes each, including 15 min Q&A sessions per panel.
Main discussion points of the webinar will be:
- Current state of Green Growth initiatives in Asian countries
- Green Growth policies: benefits or disadvantages for the poor?
- Success stories of the SWITCH-Asia programme in addressing poverty reduction and reducing environmental impacts of SME activities in Asia
- Opportunities for poverty reduction and the contribution of green SMEs for local communities and sustainable livelihoods
- Mr Thibaut Portevin, Policy Officer, Forestry and Green Economy, EU DEVCO
- Ms Ismat Jahan, Project Advisor, SWITCH-Asia Eco-Jute Project, Bangladesh
- Ms Deborah Aragao, Investment Manager, Oryx Impact Investment, Indonesia
- Mr Eduardo Escobedo, CEO, Responsible Ecosystem Sourcing Platform, Switzerland
Detailed agenda is available here.
- Representatives from SWITCH-Asia projects (both ongoing and completed projects)
- Representatives of institutions, professionals and researchers active in the field of SCP, sustainable development, poverty reduction and Green Growth
- Project officers from the European Commission and European Delegations in Asia
- Any other interested party
Duration: 90 minutes (10 am to 11:30 am CET)
Technical platform: Adobe Connect Version 9.2 Technical requirements: A "meeting diagnostic check" is available here. Please note that the "add-in" is not necessary for regular participants.
The number of participants to the webinar is limited. To book your seat, please RSVP here by March 20th, 2015. Registration for this event is on a first come first served basis, with priority given to representatives from SWITCH-Asia projects.
Send your questions to the panel!
Do you have a specific question for the speakers or is there a particular topic you would like to see addressed during the webinar? We welcome submissions of questions and expressions of interest: email us on firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1st, 2015, and your comments will be included into the event discussion.
For queries and any more information on the webinar, please contact Mr. Sebastian Philipps, SWITCH-Asia Webinar Coordinator, at: email@example.com